Home  

Guatemala reopening international adoptions

Guatemala reopening international adoptions

By JUAN CARLOS LLORCA
The Associated Press
Friday, November 20, 2009; 1:58 PM

 

GUATEMALA CITY -- Guatemalan officials on Friday announced the resumption of international adoptions after a nearly two-year suspension prompted by the discovery that some babies were being sold.

Legal reforms established during the suspension will prevent problems in the future, according to the National Adoption Council, which said in a statement on its Web page that it will start a pilot program involving four countries.

The Council did not say when the program would start or which countries would be involved.

Prior to the shutdown, Guatemala was the world's second-largest source of babies to the U.S. after China due to its routinely quick adoption process.

But the door to adoptions slammed shut in 2007 when authorities discovered evidence of fraud that has since been revealed to include false paperwork, fake birth certificates, women coerced into giving up their children and even baby theft. At least 25 cases resulted in criminal charges against doctors, lawyers, mothers and civil registrars.

As a result, thousands of adoptive parents, most from the U.S., were forced to put their adoptions of Guatemalan children on hold - many after paying thousands of dollars.

Last year, the National Adoptions Council began requiring birth mothers to personally verify they still wanted to give up their children.

Nearly 1,000 of 3,032 cases were dismissed, however, because no birth mother showed up.

Prosecutors suspect many of the babies in those cases never existed - that Guatemalan baby brokers registered false identities with the council in hopes of matching them later to babies obtained through fraud.

Cum a mijlocit Klaus Iohannis disparitia definitiva a trei copii orfani

Google Translation

Curentul Newspaper - Home

Tuesday November 24, 2009


Proposed by the Liberal and Social Democratic government for imaginary leadership , Klaus Iohannis is accused of international trafficking in human beings by the grandmother of three missing children via a dubious adoption intermediated by the present Mayor of Sibiu. Newspaper "Curentul" is in possession of a video that it puts to the public HERE, the grandmother of three children, Maria Iliu?, make statements on a fulminant story of the disappearance of children and blaming Iohannnis directly for this unclean business. Publication Director "Justice", Sibiu journalist Marius Albin Marinescu, who investigated this case in detail, says his part in an open letter to Romanian President Traian B?sescu, documented with more evidence that Iohannis is guilty of the following: human trafficking, trafficking in influence and bribery, tax evasion, stealing of property, abuse of power and corruption in the management of public money and attempt on national security ground for his links with a foreign power.

The Iliu? family tragedy begins in the years 1990-1991, when, taking advantage of early loss of parents of three children, appears on the line school inspector Klaus Werner Iohannis. He, together with his wife, Carmen Georgeta Iohannis brokered at the time more adoptions of children in the county of Sibiu for Canadian and American citizens. About these children nothing is known today, says "Justice". The Committee on Research of Abuses, corruption and Petitions of the Chamber of Deputies investigated the case, and in 2004 Maria Iliu?  was heard, the grandmother of three brothers adopted by a Canadian family through the gang of Iohannis, together with another girl aged only two months.

Requested by the Commission to be present at the hearing, Iohannis refused, defying the Romanian Parliament. Maria Iliu? personally handed a memorandum to former President Ion Iliescu in which Iohannis’ involvement in the disappearance of her grandchildren is shown, but no result. I can care for the children of Iliescu. Only he has no children! Iohannis has no children, but "goods" that he sold to others, notes with disappointment Albin Marinescu. In addition to the evidence filed, the journalist shall inform the President that he has additional evidence and that there are witnesses willing to give statements on direct involvement in international trafficking of children of the wife of Iohannis. Until then, "Curentul" gives you the exclusive video interview with grandmother fighting three missing children.

======================================================

 
 
Cum a mijlocit Klaus Iohannis disparitia definitiva a trei copii orfani

Ziarul Curentul – prima pagina
 
Marti 24 noiembrie, 2009
 

 
Propus de PNL ?i PSD pentru ?efia unui guvern imaginar, Klaus Iohannis este acuzat de trafic interna?ional de fiin?e umane de c?tre bunica a trei copii disp?ru?i via o adop?ie dubioas? intermediat? de actualul primar al Sibiului. Ziarul „Curentul“ se afl? în posesia unei înregistr?ri video pe care am pus-o la dispozi?ia opiniei publice  AICI, în care bunica celor trei copii, Maria Iliu?, face declara?ii fulminante, istorisind dispari?ia copiilor ?i învinov??indu-l direct pe Iohannis de aceast? afacere necurat?. Directorul publica?iei „Justi?iarul“, jurnalistul sibian  Marius Albin Marinescu, care a investigat acest caz în am?nun?ime, afirm? la råndul s?u într-o scrisoare deschis? adresat? pre?edintelui Romåniei, Traian B?sescu, documentat? cu mai multe dovezi, c? Iohannis se face vinovat de urm?toarele: trafic de fiin?e umane, trafic de influen?? ?i luare de mit?, evaziune fiscal?, rapt imobiliar, abuz de putere ?i corup?ie în gestionarea banului public ?i atentat la siguran?a na?ional?, pentru leg?turile sale subterane cu o putere str?in?.

Tragedia familiei Iliu? începe cu anii 1990-1991, când, profitând de dispari?ia prematur? a p?rin?ilor celor trei copii, apare pe fir inspectorul ?colar Klaus Werner Iohannis. Acesta, împreun? cu so?ia, Carmen Georgeta Iohannis, au intermediat la vremea respectiv? mai multe adop?ii de copii din jude?ul Sibiu pentru cet??eni canadieni ?i americani. De ace?ti copii nu se mai ?tie nimic ast?zi, afirm? „Justi?iarul“. Comisia pentru Cercetarea Abuzurilor, Corup?iei ?i pentru Peti?ii din Camera Deputa?ilor a cercetat acest caz, ?i în anul 2004 a fost audiat? chiar Maria Iliu?, bunica a trei fra?i adopta?i de o familie de canadieni pe filiera Iohannis, împreun? cu înc? o feti?? în vârst? de doar dou? luni.

Solicitat de Comisia respectiv? s? se prezinte la audiere, Iohannis a refuzat, sfidând Parlamentul României. Maria Iliu? i-a înmânat personal fostului pre?edinte Ion Iliescu un memoriu în care ar?ta implicarea lui Iohannis în dispari?ia nepo?ilor s?i, dar f?r? niciun rezultat. Pu?in i-a p?sat lui Iliescu de copiii altora. Doar el nu are copii! Nici Iohannis nu are copii, dar „bine“ c? i-a vândut pe ai altora, constat? cu dezam?gire Albin Marinescu. Pe lâng? probele depuse la dosar, jurnalistul îl informeaz? pe pre?edinte c? de?ine probe suplimentare ?i c? exist? ?i martori dispu?i s? dea declara?ii privind implicarea direct? a so?ilor Iohannis în traficul interna?ional de copii. Pân? atunci, „Curentul“ v? ofer?, în exclusivitate, un interviu video incendiar cu bunica celor trei copii disp?ru?i.

Now is not the time for Haitian adoptions, says agency

Now is not the time for Haitian adoptions, says agency

Peacekeepers help out in Haiti following this week's earthquake. Adopting children in the wake of a natural disaster can be extremely tricky, as well as raising some ethical issues. AP

Adoption 'is not the first response to help the children'

Published on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2010 11:29AM EST Last updated on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2010 11:32AM EST

A national organization representing adoption agencies is warning Canadians against trying to adopt Haitian children who have been affected by the earthquake. The Adoption Council of Canada, as well as many of its member organizations, have been swamped with an "overwhelming number of inquiries" from the public about how to adopt Haitian children, the organization said in a statement released today.

With one last flight to Haiti, Operation Stork winds down

Friday, January 29, 2010 7:04 PM

With one last flight to Haiti,

Operation Stork winds down

Jane Taber

The Air Canada Airbus A330 was just beginning its descent into Port-au-Prince last Saturday when the message came through the cockpit’s data system from the airline’s operations centre: “Attn: AC2150: Confirmed 24 children for your return. Take care of them.”

Utahns working on last minute deal for Haitian orphans

Utahns working on last minute deal for Haitian orphans

Reported by: Brent Hunsaker

Reported by: Brandy Vega

Last Update: 10:48 am

Print Story | ShareThis

Haitian children stand by waiting plane for clearance to fly to Utah

Haitian children stand by waiting plane for clearance to fly to Utah

Published: Friday, Jan. 29, 2010 12:14 p.m. MST

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — With a single signature, the prime minister of Haiti seems to have cleared the way for at least 50 Haitian children to leave their island nation to join the American families who are in the process of adopting them.

Joy that the days'—long logjam had apparently ended was tempered as Americans and Haitians haggled over how many children had completed the appropriate paperwork to leave. What started out early Friday with a report that 141 orphans would leave dwindled to 66 and then down to 52.

There were long faces and tears as 14 children were told they won't be going today because their paperwork isn't complete.

Orphaned Haitian children arrive in Ottawa

Orphaned Haitian children arrive in Ottawa

Updated: Wed Jan. 27 2010 13:51:56

ctvottawa.ca

A second airplane carrying 52 Haitian orphans touched down in the capital this afternoon.

The children were in the queue for adoption by Canadian parents when a massive 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit the country two weeks ago, devastating the nation and overwhelming social services.

Haiti's orphans: Why they remain in limbo

Haiti's orphans: Why they remain in limbo

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

January 27, 2010 1:26 p.m. EST

Young children are seen at an orphanage near Port-au-Prince, following the earthquake that rocked Haiti.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Saving Estonia’s abused children

Saving Estonia’s abused children

Jun 11, 2008

By Marge Tubalkain-Trell

NOT SO HAPPY TIMES: Many kids are silently suffering abuse in poorer parts of Estonia.

TALLINN - Kadi Tuusk lived in a poor suburb on the outskirts of town. She was a bright girl who did well in school. She went to Sunday school on a regular basis, not because she believed in God but because they offered food in the church and she couldn’t get food elsewhere.

Haiti adoptions: Keeping youths in the right hands

Last week, in a move hailed by child protection officials, Haitian President Rene Preval ordered that all adoptions in Haiti had to be approved by his office. But relief agencies said Tuesday that they were hearing of cases in which other government ministers were approving adoptions, which suggests the process could be open to abuse.

Haiti adoptions: Keeping youths in the right hands

Relief agencies worry that human traffickers will exploit the post-quake turmoil.

These children at Horizon of Hope in Port-au-Prince have been at the private center, which functions as an adoption agency, since before the earthquake. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times / January 26, 2010)

RELATED