Home  

Take more children into care, says Barnardo's chief Martin Narey

Take more children into care, says Barnardo's chief Martin Narey

The head of the charity Barnardo's has provoked a new debate over problem families with a controversial call to take more children into care.

Writing in The Sunday Telegraph, Martin Narey said that social workers should remove more, not fewer, children from their natural parents.

He admitted many professionals would regard his views as "heresy", and criticised the prevailing philosophy of social services departments which, he claimed, sought to keep families together wherever possible.

His call comes amid widespread public concern over how problem families should be tackled, in the wake of the Baby P scandal and the debate over "broken Britain".

His remarks divided social workers and politicians. The Conservatives welcomed the call for more intervention, but family justice campaigners said that any such change would lead to more children being removed without good cause.

Mr Narey also said that once the decision had been made to take a child away from their family, there should be greater use of residential care – formerly known as children's homes – as an alternative to placing challenging children with a succession of foster families.

He said: "The emphasis is – too much in my view – on fixing families."

Describing a case dealt with by Barnardo's, where children with rotten teeth and poor school attendance had been removed from their "scandalously neglectful" family and had begun to improve in foster care, Mr Narey said: "The whole direction of statutory and voluntary sector effort, it seemed to me, was directed to seeing whether this family could be fixed.

"In time, that would probably involve the children returning to a home which might, if not immediately, once again descend into inadequacy and neglect. Why would we want to take that risk?"

Referring to Baby P and Shannon Matthews, he went on: "Long before the revelations around these two children I have wondered whether we need fundamentally to reassess our approach to care and to residential care in particular."

Mr Narey, a former director general of the Prison Service who left government to run Barnardo's in 2005, said local councils and charities tended to regard placing a child in care as "the worst possible choice for any child", particularly if the youngster was heading for a residential home rather than foster care.

He called for a fresh look at the way children's homes are set up and financed. "It cannot be beyond us to provide high quality residential care," he said. "Indeed – to add to my heresies in this paper – I have seen such care provided in the UK by the private sector."

Welcoming the remarks, Michael Gove, the shadow children's secretary, said: "I think after Baby P a change is now going on, where people do realise that the interests of the child are paramount. It is not good enough to leave children in circumstances, with the birth parents, where that child could be at risk of abuse.

"Foster parents do a fantastic job but we do need to look seriously at other care options. I am not saying that residential care is the right answer in all circumstances, but we do need to give consideration to improving it because we cannot leave children like Baby P in places where they face significant risks."

However, John Hemming, the Liberal Democrat MP and chairman of Justice for Families, pointed to data from the Department for Children, Schools and Families which showed that among 7,800 children taken into care in 2006, only 1,800 had been returned to their families by March 2007.

"I'm not sure Mr Narey really understands what is going on. Nor am I sure that he has the practical experience," said Mr Hemming.

"His basic assertion that more children need to be taken into care and fewer need to be returned to their families ignores the statistics."

Harry Fletcher, assistant general secretary of the union for family court staff, Napo, disagreed with Mr Narey's suggestion that more children should be taken into residential care.

"Barnardo's have a vested interest in residential homes because they run some of them," he said. "All the evidence suggests residential care should be used as little as possible because the experience is damaging."

Baby P, who was 17 months old, died in August 2007 after suffering more than 50 injuries while living with his mother, 27, her boyfriend, 32, and their lodger Jason Owen, 36, despite being on the "at risk" register and receiving 60 visits from health and social workers.

Karen Matthews, the mother of Shannon, was jailed for eight years last week along with the child's uncle Michael Donovan for kidnapping the youngster, then aged nine, for £50,000 in reward money, raising further questions about the way the family had been handled by social workers.

Wes Cuell, director of children's services at the NSPCC, broadly agreed with Mr Narey's assessment.

He said: "We should not be keeping children out of care just because we don't like what care represents.

"If children need to be in care, they should be, and we should find the right sort of care for them which is not based on traditional beliefs about care based in families.

Ian Johnston, chief executive of the British Association of Social Workers, said: "Martin is right to say that we need to look at things differently. I would like to think that most social workers will look at all the possibilities."

Echo of Dickensian England heard in Ontario courts.(

Echo of Dickensian England heard in Ontario courts.(suit against Barnado's Homes)(Brief Article)

-->

From: Community Action  |  Date: 7/15/2002

-->

Barnardo's in pounds 400m lawsuit over children sent to be farm

Barnardo's in pounds 400m lawsuit over children sent to be farm

Independent, The (London),  Jun 19, 2002  by Sam Greenhill

-->

BARNARDO'S WAS accused yesterday in a pounds 400m lawsuit of shipping destitute children from Britain to become farm "servants".

A class action launched at Ontario's Superior Court of Justice alleges the children's charity sent youngsters to Canada even though some still had parents living in Britain.

Many of those who were migrated, between 1870 and 1939, were subsequently abused, in what was described as "a little-known disgraceful chapter in Canadian history".

The action was launched on behalf of 86-year-old Harold Vennell, from Ontario, who was shipped to Canada at the age of 14. He had been a Barnardo's boy since 1923, when he became ill with rickets and his single mother could not look after him. Mr Vennell claims he ended up on an Ontario farm working 18 hours a day, seven days a week, was given meagre food and was abused by the farmer and his wife.

His lawyers have set up a website detailing his claim and inviting other Barnardo's children with similar allegations to add their names to the action, which could cost the charity an estimated pounds 400m. Harvey Strosberg QC, for Mr Vennell, said Barnardo's shipped 30,000 children to Canada during the time of its migration programme.

He said: "While Barnardo's intentions may have seemed laudable to some, it is now indisputable that many of the migrant children were neglected, abused or otherwise mistreated - and such mistreatment must have been known to Barnardo's representatives."

Barnardo's children recall hard times

Barnardo's children recall hard times

Independent, The (London),  Jun 27, 1995  by GLENDA COOPER

-->

A "frank" account of the history of Barnardo's, the society that is attempting to come to terms with its controversial past, was launched yesterday. The authors are two of the society's most famous old boys, the designer Bruce Oldfield and the novelist Leslie Thomas. The third co-author, Helen Simpson, is a voluntary worker.

Barnardo's Children traces the history of the charity through personal experiences and looks at the use of village homes, training schemes and the tackling of Aids and sexual abuse. But it also covers controversial aspects of Barnardo's history, such as child migration to Canada and Australia (over 1,300 children were sent abroad in 1905 alone) and the separation of brothers and sisters.

Oldfield and Thomas were honest about the feelings they had towards their treatment as children and praised the professionalism of today compared with their own experiences. Oldfield, taken to a Barnardo's nursery aged one, spoke of the "heavy- handed" institutional feeling of the 1950s and 1960s.

"I think there were some very bad things about the way we were brought up and the way they looked at child care in the 50s and 60s. In my time, there were 25 boys under one roof, 3 to 17 years old, all slightly disturbed. It was very institutionalised and it was bound to be rough justice."

Thomas, who drew on memories of his childhood in Barnardo's in his first book This Time Next Week, said of the Kingston home he lived in: "The place put terror into your heart. There was a great big tower and it looks like a prison. But it grew on you." He recalls Kingston as "A rough old dump - we called it a mouldy old shack."


Barnardo's senior director, Roger Singleton, said: "The history of Barnardo's . . . tells us about the changing nature of childhood over the last century and how society's attitude to children have changed." at the launch of their book on childhoods spent in homes run by Barnardo's and (right) when they were childrenPhotograph: Brian Harris

Copyright 1995 Newspaper Publishing PLC
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19950627/ai_n13990974

Man charged in abuse inquiry at Barnardo's

By Glenda Cooper

A FIFTY-ONE-YEAR-OLD man was charged last night with buggery, indecent assault and actual bodily harm following an inquiry into abuse at a Barnardo's home in Yorkshire.

The man, who will appear at Harrogate magistrates' court this morning, was a house-parent at Springhill residential school, in Ripon, North Yorkshire. He had been interviewed by police who were investigating a series of allegations of physical and sexual abuse at the school in the Sixties and Seventies.

The inquiry is the latest in a series of scandals where former residents of children's homes around the country have made extensive allegations of abuse, particularly in North Wales and Cheshire, where Britain's biggest investigation into the abuse of children in care was launched four years ago.

The Yorkshire investigation began last September after a former resident at the school, which looked after children with learning difficulties and challenging behaviour, made a complaint to the charity Barnardo's which was passed on to the police.

Police have now spoken to 60 former residents of the school, which was responsible for boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 16, and 10 complaints of abuse have been made against former members of staff. These allegations are being investigated.

"Since receiving the initial complaint we have spoken to a number of former residents, some of whom have made allegations of physical and sexual abuse," said Detective Inspector Phil Metcalfe, who is leading the inquiry. "We are continuing our inquiries and it is vital we hear from people who lived at the Springhill school in order to substantiate these allegations."

Twelve officers and two social workers from North Yorkshire County Council have been drafted in to help with the investigation, codenamed Operation Pudsey.

During the Sixties and Seventies, the Barnardo's Springhill School was based in an old Church Commission building called the Bishop's Palace. It included 82 acres of land, and had a chapel, a coach house and a gate lodge.

Between 1940, when the school was established, and 1949, it was an all- girls school, but in 1950 it became mixed and was known as a school for the "educationally subnormal". In 1989 pounds 2m was invested in constructing four new buildings for the school. There were on average 40 children cared for by the school each year, although this went up to 56 in 1979.

A spokeswoman for the police said that she was not aware of any previous investigation into Springhill. None of the current staff is under suspicion.

A spokesman for Barnardo's said: "We are saddened and distressed by any claims relating to the protection of children entrusted to our care. This matter was brought to our attention in 1997, we immediately investigated and passed the matter over to the police.

More than 100 homes and schools in Cheshire and Merseyside have been or are being investigated amid allegations that children in care have been abused. And for the past two years, police have been investigating claims of abuse in the North-west.

Despite this a national conference on child abuse, organised by social services in the North-west, had to be cancelled because not enough social workers wanted to attend.

The False Prophet of Adoption

>>?In Print?>>?Cover Story

Paul Wellman

Orson Mozes

The False Prophet of Adoption

Using Babies as Bait, Montecito’s Orson Mozes’s Led 17 Families on Global Goose Chases

HC Orders Status Quo on Adoption of a Minor Girl

 Hyderabad: A two-judge panel of the Telangana High Court ordered status quo with regard to custody of a child in a writ appeal challenging the order of the single judge. The single judge while hearing a batch of writ petitions had declared the actions of the women development and child welfare department and others in forcefully taking away custody of minor children from the adoptive parents as illegal. The HC panel, comprising Chief Justice Alok Aradhe and Justice J. Sreenivas Rao, were dealing with a writ appeal filed by the directorate of women development and child welfare department aggrieved by the order of the single judge in a batch of writ petitions. The writ appellant contended that the respondents, who are the adoptive parents of a minor girl, are not entitled to her custody as they have not followed the procedures prescribed under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 and Adoption Regulations, 2022. The panel, after hearing the additional advocate general and the counsel for the respondents, passed a status quo order with regard to the custody of the child with the appellant. Meanwhile, the panel directed the appellant to process the application of the respondent seeking custody of the child expeditiously preferably within two months. The matter was posted for further hearing.

HC refuses to enlarge on bail white-collar crimes accused

Justice J. Sridevi of the Telangana High Court refused to enlarge on bail Vansh Kumar Jangid, who, with his wife, is alleged to have committed various white collar offences. It is further alleged that the modus operandi of the petitioner and his wife was to threaten people with legal consequences if they did not pay up certain amounts. According to the prosecution, the petitioner and the principal accused would open false accounts and swindle money. The petitioner contended that he had no financial gains from the transactions and that the beneficiary accused was already enlarged on bail. The public prosecutor opposed the bail on the ground that the petitioner had earlier escaped from custody while being brought on a PT warrant to Hyderabad. The petitioner’s version, however, was that in a crowded railway station he had lost touch with the police and had surrendered himself in Delhi, when the court found that the remand report was incomplete, the judge adjourned the matter.

Suman TV anchor draws HC flak

Justice B. Vijaysen Reddy of the Telangana High Court was highly critical of the manner in which anchor Roshan of Suman TV was making posts and turning around playing the victim card. The judge was dealing with a specially mentioned petition filed by G.S. Vasa Reddy complaining against the Jubilee Hills police for not acting upon a complaint lodged by him against Girish Daramoni, a YouTuber. According to the petitioner he had interviewed a female ‘aghori’, which had 1.6 million hits. According to the petitioner, the respondent uploaded a video with demeaning content in which he made disparaging remarks targeting the petitioner. It is also alleged that he had incited viewers against Suman TV. According to the petitioner, the respondent was instigating viewers against the petitioner and making hate speeches and the police were not taking any action. The judge directed the petitioners to approach the police with a representation on the basis of which the police would consider the case.

INTER-COUNTRY ADOPTIONS AND CONSULTANCY IN GUARDIANSHIP

INTER-COUNTRY ADOPTIONS AND CONSULTANCY IN GUARDIANSHIP

Stolen at birth, an adoptee sues Chile over thousands of similar dictatorship-era crimes

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — A Chilean-American raised in the United States filed a criminal complaint against the Chilean government on Monday, alleging that it engaged in a systematic plan to steal thousands of babies from perceived enemies of the state in the 1970s and 1980s.

The case filed by Jimmy Lippert Thyden González, 43, aims to advance the task of Chilean prosecutors and human rights groups working on accountability for crimes committed under Gen. Augusto Pinochet.

On Sept. 11, 1973, Pinochet led a coup to overthrow Marxist President Salvador Allende, ushering in a period of brutal repression until 1990 during which at least 3,095 people were killed and tens of thousands more were imprisoned and tortured for political reasons.

Little more than a year after learning about his origins as one of thousands of Chilean adoptees taken from their biological parents without consent during Pinochet’s dictatorship, Thyden González lodged his lawsuit in Santiago, Chile’s capital.

He did it at a pivotal moment. On Monday, a new judge assumed control over the judicial investigations into the dictatorship’s child-trafficking operations, the latest action as the left-wing government of President Gabriel Boric seeks to strengthen Chile’s accountability efforts.