Home  

SC Warns 30 States, UTs Of Contempt Case For Non-Compliance With Its Directions On Child Adoption

The CJI DY Chandrachud led bench was hearing a petition for easing the adoption procedures under Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA).


The Supreme Court on Tuesday warned as many as 30 States and Union Territories (UTs) of initiating contempt of court proceeding for failure to comply with the top court's previous directions pertaining to the establishment of Specialised Adoption Agencies (SAAs) in each district by January 31, 2024. 

The CJI DY Chandrachud led bench was hearing a petition for easing the adoption procedures under Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA).


 

CARA is a statutory body of the Ministry of Women & Child Development and functions as the nodal body for adoption of Indian children and is mandated to monitor and regulate in-country and inter-country adoptions.

Supreme Court Gives Final Deadline To States/ UTs To Appoint Specialised Adoption Agencies In Each District By August 30

The Court warned that the Chief Secretaries of States/UTs will have to personally appear on the next date in case of non-compliance.


The Supreme Court on Tuesday (July 9) expressed serious concerns over the non-compliance of several states in appointing Specialised Adoption Agencies (SAAs) within every district by January 31 2024. The Court has directed the Chief Secretaries of the States and UTs to strictly comply with the earlier order by August 30, 2024 failing which contempt proceedings may be initiated against them....


 

120,000 'stolen' babies: Georgia's trafficking scandal

Georgian student Elene Deisadze was browsing TikTok in 2022 when she stumbled across the profile of a girl, Anna Panchulidze, who looked exactly like her.  

Months later, after chatting and becoming friends, they both separately learnt they were adopted, and last year decided to take a DNA test. 

It revealed they were not only related, but identical twins. 

"I had a happy childhood, but now my entire past felt like a deception," Anna, an English student at university, told AFP. 

Far from an innocent case of separation at birth, the sisters are among tens of thousands of Georgian children who were illegally sold in a decades-long baby trafficking scandal. 

Seven Years on, Jalpaiguri Child Trafficking Victims Await Justice

While the CID claims it is still investigating matters, affected families hold on to hope and several of the accused – said to have political connections – are out on bail.


Jalpaiguri: It has been over eight years since Kajal Basfor last saw her son, Ganesh. In 2016, Ganesh ran away after facing his mother’s scolding and a beating. As per the Child Helpline record, he was found at New Jalpaiguri Station in North Bengal, following which the police took him to a temporary shelter.

 

Kajal came to Jalpaiguri hoping for a reunion, but was instead locked up at a shelter home called Ashraya. Her three-year-old daughter Dipali was forcefully taken away to another shelter home, Bimala Shishu Griha. While Kajal was released after a few days, Dipali was held captive at the home.

Seeking help, Kajal and her husband approached the Jalpaiguri Child Welfare Centre and the district collector. The Child Welfare Centre clarified that two members of the Child Welfare Committee, seeing Kajal’s emotional state, deemed her unfit to raise a child, leading to their separation.

Tirupur cops foil illegal adoption bid

Police said a 21-year-old woman delivered a baby girl four days ago at Tirupur Government Medical College Hospital.


COIMBATORE: The Tirupur police foiled an attempt by a young woman to give her infant on illegal adoption and inquiries are underway to punish the culprits.

Police said a 21-year-old woman delivered a baby girl four days ago at Tirupur Government Medical College Hospital.

Acting on a tip that the young mother is in talks for giving her baby, born before marriage, to a childless couple and the deal is being brokered by a temporary sanitary staff of the hospital, the Tirupur South police commenced an investigation.

On receiving a complaint from the hospital authorities, the District Child Protection Unit (DCPU) officers are holding a separate inquiry.

As Bengaluru police bust illegal baby-selling racket, varied modus operandi of gang surfaces

The CCB police arrested eight racketeers — seven women and one man — selling babies to childless couples for ₹8-10 lakh.


The Organised Crime Wing (OCW) of the Bengaluru City Police’s Central Crime Branch (CCB) has busted a child trafficking racket from Tamil Nadu and arrested a gang of eight — seven women and a man, their car driver.


The gang was apprehended when it was about to sell a 20-day-old baby boy to a childless couple in Rajarajeshwari Nagar in West Bengaluru on Friday, 24 November.

The CCB officials, who had credible information about the “deal”, had formed teams and were waiting near the Rajarajeshwari Nagar Temple on Friday evening for the gang members to make their move, a senior police officer told South First on Tuesday.

The CCB sleuths surrounded the car, in which three women and the driver were present with the baby, and rescued the infant.

Zeina Ismail-Allouche visits Lebanon to discuss illegal adoption

Source: Center for the Study of Learning and Performance

 

CSLP Manager Zeina Ismail-Allouche was recently in Lebanon for two invited presentations under the title From our forgotten history: Children from Lebanon and the issue of illegal adoption .

The sessions took place under the auspices of the Lebanese Association for History and the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, and the aim was to help raise awareness and engage a variety of stakeholders in discussions around the case of the forcibly adopted children during the 1975 – 1990 war period.

 

DNA pilot project with Voie d'Espoir

In recent years, the DNA project in Haiti was on hold because we couldn't travel. Since the spring of 2024, we have a pilot project and are working with Michel Joseph from Voie D’Espoir (VE) and Dirk Vermeyen in Haiti. 

Both gentlemen have helped us in the past with searches for families: Dirk as a solo specialist family finder, and Michel (journalist) who set up the Voie D’Espoir foundation due to the many requests he receives to trace the families of adoptees. 

We are combining our efforts for even more matches, which is the goal of Plan Kiskeya. VE is carrying out our DNA project in this pilot. In Port-au-Prince and Jeremi, an office has been opened where families can register. The project is being announced via radio spots, and families are being called to make an appointment for registration. 

In addition to the above two offices, there is also an office in Cap-Haitien, coordinated by Dirk Vermeyen. We have been working with Dirk for some time. From the Netherlands, we have direct insight into the incoming registrations. 

These new registrations are then processed on the Plan Kiskeya website. The pilot runs until the end of August. So far, the process is going well, registrations are coming in, and we are in close contact with Dirk and Michel. 

Path of hope

Precariousness pushes thousands of Haitians to entrust their children to reception centers, or to have them adopted. Most of these children leave the country, without their parents having any possibility of tracing them or having news of them.

Many parents do not know how international adoption works. "The 'madan sara' are sometimes victims," ​​says journalist Michel Joseph. "Having no one to look after their child, they [sometimes] entrust them to a nursery so they can go about their business activities. When they return after eight or fifteen days, they are told that the child has already been adopted and that he or she has travelled."

In other situations, biological parents are victims of false promises. "Sometimes [nurseries, orphanages or foreign missions] promise them a small house or money, under the pretext of sponsorship, in exchange for the child."

Telangana: Rat found in chutney at Sultanpur JNTU College

SANGAREDDY : The chutney prepared for students at Sultanpur JNTU College in Andole constituency on Monday night turned into a nightmare when a rat was discovered in it. Recently, students of JNTU College have protested the unsanitary and unhygienic conditions of the hostel food.

Upon noticing the live rat in the chutney, students recorded a video and shared it on social media, prompting District Health Minister Damodar Rajanarsimha to express his outrage. He warned against jeopardising students’ lives and instructed District Additional Collector Madhuri and Andole RDOs to conduct a thorough investigation and submit a report.

As directed, the officials visited the college on Tuesday. Additional Collector Madhuri met with the principal, staff and students, inspecting the dining room and kitchen. Minister Rajanarsimha instructed authorities to prevent such incidents in all hostels and ordered food safety officials to inspect boarding hostels, canteens, schools and colleges statewide.

Emphasising compliance with food safety norms, the minister mandated immediate cancellation of licences for non-compliant entities and urged constant inspections by Food Safety Officers across the state. Meanwhile, Additional District Collector Madhavi’s inquiry report revealed neglect in utensil cleaning at the college, which she reprimanded the staff for.

The minister directed the authority to keep vigilance on the manufacture of food items.