Home  

Inside the Conservative Movement to Promote Adoption

These states banned abortion. Now they’re pushing adoption as an empowering choice for pregnant women.

The mothers of ModernAdoptionPlans.org have a message for women who find themselves unexpectedly pregnant: You, too, can turn this difficult time into a rewarding experience by relinquishing your baby for adoption.

In glossy videos, they tell their stories. They found themselves in crisis. Many considered abortions before deciding on adoption. It was a painful choice, but it was the right choice.

“This is one of the greatest things a parent could ever do,” says Adrianne, a Black birth mother, from a sun-filled loft. Sarah, a white birth mother, speaks to us from what looks like a church. “I didn’t choose what was best for me. I chose what was best for him,” she says.

Billboards, radio ads, and TV commercials across Texas urge residents to visit the website. In addition to the videos, Modern Adoption produced a resource guide where readers can find adoption agencies and crisis pregnancy centers, which are known to spread misinformation and push adoption. But nowhere does the site mention that the campaign is part of the multimillion-dollar, taxpayer-funded state program to dissuade women from having abortions.

Phasing out international adoption

Stichting Wereldkinderen has read the news about the latest developments regarding intercountry adoption. On Tuesday 21 May at 18:00 we received the documents that were shared with the First and Second Chamber from the Ministry of Justice and Security. In these documents, Minister Weerwind indicates that it is not possible to not implement the motion of 16 April or to implement it only to a limited extent. In contrast to the position that Minister Weerwind defended during the debate on 3 April, he has now decided to come up with a phase-out plan for intercountry adoption in the Netherlands in September. The minister indicates that intercountry adoption procedures that have already started will continue for the time being.

 

The minister has asked FIOM not to process any new registrations for intercountry adoption. Quote from the minister: ''The already planned information meeting will go ahead, but I have asked FIOM to explicitly state that it must be taken into account that a possible adoption procedure cannot be continued as a result of the phasing-out plan.'' In the phasing-out plan, the minister wants to keep the term limited. According to the minister, a change in the law is needed to facilitate the phasing-out. The country selection, as previously carried out, remains in force during this phasing-out. Since there is no longer a need for a central mediation organisation, the procedure for establishing IAN has been stopped.

 

In the interest of the child, the Wereldkinderen foundation believes that as long as there is a real need for intercountry adoption in the countries of origin, it should be possible for prospective adoptive parents in the Netherlands to give a child a loving home. We are convinced that this need still exists in the countries of origin. We know that there are parents who want to give children a loving home. We therefore find it very sad that the government no longer supports this international child welfare measure. 

4-year-old adopted by Australian aunt moves HC for passport

Ahmedabad: The Gujarat high court on Wednesday issued notices to the Centre and other authorities concerned, including the Regional Passport Office (RPO), after a four-year-old girl filed a petition because her adoptive Australian parents were unable to apply for her passport.

According to the submissions made by the petitioner's advocate in the HC, the child was adopted by her father's sister, an Australian citizen, two years ago. The adoption took place by way of a registered adoption deed. When the adoptive parents began the process of taking the child to Australia, things hit a roadblock.

The agency responsible for adoption immigration informed the adoptive parents that many cases of migration through adoption under the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act were under the Australian govt's scrutiny. Once the agency receives clearance from the Australian govt, the process for taking the adopted child to Australia will proceed further. Until then, the child could be taken to Australia through any other valid immigration process, but not through adoption.

The counsel for the petitioner submitted that the adoptive parents then initiated the process of getting the child's passport in India, as she is an Indian citizen. However, this too was not possible because the adoptive parents cannot file an application online. This is because the adoptive parents, being Australian citizens, must supply a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) confirming that the adoption is valid. The adoptive parents have applied to CARA, but the agency has not issued an NOC, stating that it was waiting for confirmation from the Australian authorities on this subject, the petitioner's advocate submitted in the court.

The petitioner's lawyer further argued that even if the child does not travel to Australia on the strength of her adoption by Australian citizens, it is her right to have an Indian passport so that a different process for travel could be resorted to.

Child abuse, Bulgaria condemned: "Reports from Italian judges ignored"


Adoptions

Child abuse, Bulgaria condemned: "Reports from Italian judges ignored"

by Fabrizio Gatti February 4, 2021

According to the European Court of Human Rights, Sofia did not investigate. And the role of the Milanese association Aibi in creating "an atmosphere of conflict" that did not favor the investigation is central

The reports of abuse transmitted by the Italian judiciary should not have been immediately archived. The shocking testimonies of three children, who had suffered atrocious sexual violence together with other children of the same age in a Bulgarian orphanage , were credible and detailed. The children had begun to confide in the psychologists appointed by the adoptive family, after their adoption in Italy concluded in 2012 with the mediation of the association “Aibi – Amici dei bambini” of Milan. And they had then confirmed their words before the public prosecutor of a Juvenile Prosecutor's Office who, following international procedures, had transmitted the documents to Sofia. The judicial file described children who had also been raped by adults, who on some occasions had filmed the attacks.

For this reason, on 2 February the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights condemned Bulgaria , upholding the appeal against an initial decision of the Court that had rejected the appeal of the adoptive parents. According to the majority of judges, the Sofia authorities "who did not avail themselves of the available investigations and international cooperation mechanisms, did not take all reasonable measures to shed light on the case and did not carry out a complete and careful analysis of the evidence submitted to them. The omissions observed", explains a note from the European Court, "appeared sufficiently serious to consider that the investigation carried out was not effective in accordance with the purposes of Article 3 of the Convention, interpreted in the light of other international provisions and in particular the Lanzarote Convention".

INHUMAN AND DEGRADING TREATMENTS
According to the Grand Chamber, Bulgaria has therefore violated the European Convention on Human Rights, which in Article 3 establishes that "no one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Even more so if the children were under ten years old at the time. The Bulgarian State will therefore have to compensate the three children , assisted by the lawyer Francesco Mauceri, within three months with a total sum of thirty-six thousand euros.

The judges, also due to the lack of in-depth investigations, do not maintain that the reported violence actually occurred and that therefore there was a violation of the substantial part of Article 3. Instead, they establish that Bulgaria violated the procedural part that should have ascertained the possible substantial violation of the same article. A principle that concerns the States, which however must not be deprived of the full collaboration of the intermediation associations that, in international adoptions, operate with the authorization and on behalf of the respective governments.

THE THEORY DICTED BY MILAN
Among the ninety-eight pages of reasons , the non-appealable judgment of the Grand Chamber dedicates entire paragraphs to the conduct of the association Aibi-Amici dei bambini , which is based in San Giuliano Milanese and is supported by famous testimonials from the world of politics, entertainment and sports. "The conclusion of the Grand Chamber", note in a joint opinion judges Turkovi?, Pinto de Albuquerque, Bošnjak and the Italian Raffaele Sabato, "could be integrated, in our view, by the consideration that the reasoning adopted by the Bulgarian judicial authorities and by the State Agency for Child Protection substantially reaffirmed the theory advanced by the association that had acted as an intermediary for the adoption".

“The representatives of that association,” the judges explained, referring to Aibi, “when the adoptive parents approached them after the first disclosure of the abuse, began to express the opinion that the parents were not suitable to adopt the children, on the basis of their behaviour during a meeting organised by the association on 2 October 2012. The Court was unable to ascertain whether the report on this meeting between the association’s staff, the parents and the children was authentic, given that… the applicants produced a police report stating that three representatives of the association had to provide proof of their signature, and acknowledged that the report bears three different signatures, all written by the same hand.”

THE RETOUCHED REPORT
“Furthermore,” the judges of the Grand Chamber noted, “the report apparently showed discrepancies in the text, in the form of additions and deletions, which the Court was unable to verify. Regardless of whether the Bulgarian authorities knew from the beginning about this alleged forgery, it appears clear to us that the forgery of the document was discussed by the applicants before the Grand Chamber without the Government responding on the point. This circumstance, together with the fact that the association met with representatives of the various authorities involved... and drafted a highly critical report on the adoptive parents' account, which it then transmitted to the Juvenile Court... testifies to the central role played by the association in creating an atmosphere of conflict which did not favour the initiation of effective investigations".

"The Court", the judges continue in the judgment, still referring to Aibi, "also regretted thatthe association that acted as intermediary for the adoption with the authorities of the respondent State, had sent a note to the Court in which it expressed the opinion that the parents were unsuitable as adoptive parents because – in the opinion of the association – they had triggered a process of denunciation of abuses that did not exist , with the aim of denigrating the procedure that had led to the adoption. The content of this decision, in our opinion, reinforces the idea that the minors' revelations were credible, and [therefore] the association's approach was officially rejected».

IT WAS NOT PREMATURE SEXUALITY
The orphanage of horrors was reported in an investigation by L'Espresso and subsequently closed. The Aibi association, which operates under the authorization of the Italian government, did not respond to our request for comment.

«A final observation», conclude the judges of the Grand Chamber, «must be made, in our opinion, regarding the consideration that the events were a “simple” phenomenon of precocious sexuality, due to the fact that the children live together in an orphanage. According to this point of view, consequently there was no need to investigate, since only the minors were responsible for the sexual contacts and no criminal liability could be attributed to them. First, we note once again that this was the theory supported by the association that acted as an intermediary in the adoption», highlight the judges of the Grand Chamber of the Strasbourg Court, always referring to Aibi: «Second, there were reports, even in the first disclosures, of violent sexual contacts initiated by minors. In this regard, we must underline that also important international norms consider violence inflicted by peers as violence against minors and that in these cases the criminal liability does not lie with the violent children, but with those who have the task of supervising and caring for them».

POLICE REPORT
The prosecutor's office and the juvenile court, which had deemed the complaint of the three children credible, also established the full suitability of the adoptive parents, who, according to the Strasbourg Court, Aibi had defined as unsuitable. But as happened in Bulgaria, the Italian judiciary that deals with the behavior of adults has archived all the numerous complaints filed over the years against the Milanese association, for alleged irregularities in the adoption procedures .

The same police report that in Rome attested to the "three different signatures, all written by the same hand" ended up in the archives: they appear at the bottom of the report delivered to the juvenile court by the top management of Aibi, who at that time were acting before the judicial authority in their capacity as an entity authorized by the Italian government. This is the unusual reason why an ordinary public prosecutor requested and obtained the archiving: "The false signature on the report produced by Aibi to the Juvenile Court remains to be considered [...]. The only crime that can be configured in this sense, since it is a party act, is the falsity of a private document no longer provided for by law as a crime."

Italian magazine reports on sexual abuse cases in Bulgarian home for children deprived of parental care

Italian magazine reports on sexual abuse cases in Bulgarian home for children deprived of parental care

12 January 2013 | 20:12 | FOCUS News Agency

Home / Bulgaria

Sofia. In a shocking article the Italian weekly newsmagazine L'espresso reports on a case of pedophilia in a Bulgarian home for children deprived of parental care, Bulgarian National Radio (BNR) reported.

The adoptive families of the Bulgarian children reported the sexual abuse cases to the Italian institutions last October, reads the magazine. However, it is possible that the Bulgarian authorities has not received officially the pedophilia signal yet.

Childless cop resolves to fight system to adopt abandoned baby

As the officer incharge of the Wave City Police station that day, he asked a team of officers to visit the spot and admit the baby to a Community Health Centre(CHC) and get her medical check up done.

On a sunny Friday afternoon, sub-inspector Pushpendra Kumar was investigating a murder near the Inayatpur and Raghunathpur villages of Ghaziabad when he was alerted that a newborn baby was found abandoned nearby. “I thought it was ‘some’ child that was abandoned by the parents,” he said. But little did he know that was the beginning of an emotional roller-coaster that was awaiting him in the days to follow.

As the officer incharge of the Wave City Police station that day, he asked a team of officers to visit the spot and admit the baby to a Community Health Centre(CHC) and get her medical check up done.

An hour and a half later, Kumar decided to visit the spot — a jungle between the two villages — where the baby was abandoned to find any clue of the missing parents. A few village residents were still at the spot. “They said that there were wild dogs in the area. The boundary wall on which the baby was laid was narrow, it was a surprise that she was found safe,” he said.

Soon, he was at the CHC. “The doctors informed me that the baby was doing fine, healthy and weighed around 3.15 kg. I went inside to see her. She was dressed in a light blue t-shirt. Tiny hair covered her head and her eyes were closed. Wrapped in a pink towel, the doctors placed her in my arms. They said the child was doing fine and needed to be shifted to an orphanage,” Kumar said.

State faces lawsuit calling for 'ludicrous' Mother and Baby Home redress scheme to be extended

Over €27.4 million has been paid to survivors to date, but thousands of people remain excluded.


THE FIRST OF a number of legal cases calling for the Government’s redress scheme for survivors of mother and baby institutions to be extended is due to come before the High Court next week.

The case was originally due to be mentioned today but was pushed back until next Monday, 21 October, as a document was missing from the case file.

Judge Mary Rose Gearty said the case would be mentioned next week instead.

John Duncan-Morris, who spent time in Bessborough institution in Cork and St Joseph’s in Stamullen in Meath, is taking legal action against the State.

Children stolen in Congo, adopted in Belgium: civil proceedings to highlight the responsibilities of the adoption chain and politicians

https://www.rtbf.be/article/enfants-voles-au-congo-adoptes-en-belgique-une-procedure-au-civil-pour-pointer-les-responsabilites-de-la-chaine-d-adoption-et-du-politique-11447830?fbclid=IwY2xjawF8FhFleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHbdPu8ojbOHcANKkW88ZMACJuLcYyowy3-InWu3shsUXBXDJWA9MXrhYqA_aem_ul2FVO7OuooeU44zhk5cig


 

Sentenced  on Thursday to ten years in prison by the Namur Criminal Court for, in particular, kidnapping minors, hostage-taking and fraud in the context of international adoptions between the DRC and Belgium , Juilenne Mpemba from Namur benefited " from officials of the French Community, managers of approved adoption organisations and various personalities, a culpable leniency without which the defendant could not have acted as she did  ".

These sentences from the judgment did not go unnoticed, particularly by Mr. Vincent Lurquin. The lawyer for three Congolese biological families decided to initiate civil proceedings  so that decisions could be made on "  the responsibility of the entire Belgian adoption chain and of politics ."

As a reminder, a general dismissal of the case was pronounced by the Liège indictment chamber in September 2022, ending the charge of failure to assist a person in danger against, among others, the chief of staff of Rachid Madrane, former Minister of Youth Assistance, the director of the community authority at the time and the two directors of the adoption organization who supervised all the adoption procedures.