Home  

How the international aid community again finds itself at centre of child exploitation allegations

The case against a former Ottawa aid worker, accused of victimizing several Nepalese boys, is the latest black mark for the international aid community, which has seen several organizations roiled by allegations of workers committing sex crimes against children.

Paul McCarthy, 62, was granted bail Wednesday, on a condition of house arrest, after he was charged last week with multiple child pornography offences and one count of luring a child.

McCarthy was stopped by the Canada Border Services Agency in mid-December as he returned home following a volunteer mission to an orphanage in Nepal.

Authorities said the investigation led to the identification of five alleged victims: all Nepalese boys under the age of 16.

In the 1990s, McCarthy worked for disaster relief organization CARE Canada where he was director for Indonesia between 1992 and 1995.

The Cappuccino couple's contribution to 1971's war babies' odyssey

https://www.tbsnews.net/thoughts/cappuccino-couples-contribution-1971s-war-babies-odyssey-536582?amp#origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&cap=swipe,education&webview=1&dialog=1&viewport=natural&visibilityState=prerender&prerenderSize=1&viewerUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Famp%2Fs%2Fwww-tbsnews-net.cdn.ampproject.org%2Fc%2Fs%2Fwww.tbsnews.net%2Fthoughts%2Fcappuccino-couples-contribution-1971s-war-babies-odyssey-536582%3Famp&_kit=1

 

Retired minister Fred Cappuccino and his wife Bonnie raised 21 children from 11 countries. One of their adopted children is Shikha Deepa Margaret Cappuccino, a 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War baby


After Bangladesh won its independence in 1971, there arose an issue regarding 'unwanted' babies left behind by their birth mothers. Since their biological fathers were Pakistani military officers who left after raping their mothers, a 350-year-old former Portuguese monastery situated at Islampur Road in the old part of Dhaka took responsibility. 

This was done to encourage rape victims to come to the orphanage grounds in confidence, so that both the mother and the baby could be saved. Between October 1971 and September 1972, war babies born in Bangladesh were thought to have "badness" in their blood, so their mothers gave up a record number of these babies. 

Minor girl given for adoption to late mom's neighbour raped, youth held

MUMBAI: Mira Road police have arrested an 18-year-old youth for allegedly raping his 17-year-old adopted niece. The girl who along with her younger brother and a cousin sister were given for adoption to their late mother's neighbour after they lost both their parents in a span of four months. The police have also booked three other members of the family.
The girl, a class 12th student, left her adopted home and approached the police on August 9. The teenager had lost her father to cardiac stroke in September last year. Her mother had died by suicide in January. The siblings were taken to their paternal grandparents' home in Kandivli. Within 10 days, the teenager and her cousin were moved to an orphanage in Andheri after approaching the Child Welfare Committee (CWC). The brother was sent to a residential school in Boisar. As the teenager was keen on pursuing her education, she approached the CWC to be given for adoption to a 54-year-old woman, who was her late mother's neighbour. The CWC officers visited the family, and the siblings were sent to stay with them in April.
 

 

In her complaint, the teenager stated about not being allowed to pursue their education and instead being forced to change their religion. They also accused the family of physically harassing them and making them do household chores. The teenager stated that when she protested against the torture, the family threatened to send them back to the orphanage.
She said the accused sexually abused her earlier this month, while others were asleep. She left home on August 8, spent the night out and approached the police the next day.

Over 600 NGO-run child care homes received foreign funds up to Rs 6 lakh per child in 2018-19: NCPCR

NEW DELHI: Over 600 child care institutions, run by NGOs and housing 28,000 children, received up to Rs 6 lakh per child in foreign funds in 2018-19, far more than the estimated average expenditure, the apex child rights body NCPCR said as it expressed apprehensions of possible financial irregularities.

In a random analysis of information about 638 NGO-run CCIs in five states, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) found that in 2018-19 the average amount they collected was between Rs 2.12 lakh to Rs 6.60 lakh per child and it is now planning a country-wide exercise to examine the foreign funding and expenditure of such NGOs, according to NCPCR Chairperson Priyank Kanoongo.

As per the Child Protection Scheme, the expenditure per child per annum including all recurring expenses is about Rs 60,000.

"Such a high amount of money collected by the NGOs has raised concerns about possible siphoning of funds. We will be carrying out a country-wide exercise and, accordingly, action would be taken," Kanoongo told PTI.

He said a "country-wide analysis" of the foreign funds received by NGOs run child care institutions will be carried out.

Child Care Institutions (CCIs) under JJ Act

Recognising that the child, for the full and harmonious development of his or her personality, should grow up in a family environment, in an atmosphere of happiness, love and understanding” - Preamble of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, 1989 United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC).

‘NGOs running childcare institutions got up to 6.6L/child in foreign funds’

NEW DELHI: A random analysis by National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) covering over 600 NGOs running child care institutions showed that going by FRCA data on the quantum of donations in 2018-19, the average amount received per child in these CCIs ranged between Rs 2.12 lakh and Rs 6.60 lakh.

The analysis covered 638 NGOs across Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Telangana and Karnataka that housed around 28,900 children at the time the NCPCR commissioned the social audit in 2018-19.

 


On why these five states were chosen, NCPCR chief Priyank Kanoongo said the audit in 7,163 homes in 2018-19 found around 2.56 lakh children in CCIs. Of these, over 1.63 lakh were in five southern states. NCPCR decided to analyse trends in foreign funding by taking these five states first, an official said. The NCPCR plans to study the trend further and extend the analysis to other states too.
“We are not alleging anything but yes, we want that whatever money is coming into the country should be used for the benefit of the child as these CCIs are under the Juvenile Justice Act,” the NCPCR chief said.
The random analysis was carried out by picking NGOs running CCIs audited by the Lucknow-based Academy of Management Studies in 2018-19. Kanoongo said they took the FCRA data available on the home ministry’s website (www.fcraonline.nic.in) for the year 2018-19.

“The calculation was carried out with the receipt of foreign contribution by NGOs running CCIs against the number of children staying during the social audit,” he said, adding that the expenditure per child per annum, including all recurring expenses, came to about Rs 60,000.

Paperwork, they say, is trapping their adopted daughter in Nepal. They’re suing.

They see their daughter just twice a year. And she has never seen the two-story brick house in Annapolis that is supposed to be — according to all the documents they signed — her American home.

Bhagya, 12, is still in an orphanage in Nepal, where Aaron and Emma Skalka met her eight years ago. They fly there twice a year, Skype, call and email her as much as they can to talk about her hobbies, her friends, her grades.

They are stuck in an adoption limbo — a morass of paperwork and politics, fraught with the ethical weight of international adoptions and the fierce conviction of two people who don’t want a little girl to be abandoned a second time.

And they just sued the American government, essentially arguing to overturn a ban on adoptions from Nepal implemented when abuse and corruption in the system was uncovered 13 years ago. The Skalkas — who hired their own investigator to ensure everything was legit and unforced — are pressing the State Department and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to acknowledge the Nepalese approval of Bhagya’s adoption.

“The State Department doesn’t understand,” Aaron Skalka said. “From the moment we signed those papers, there was an emotional commitment to this child.”

Paul Redmond tells us what he has learned about St Patrick’s Mother and Baby Home in Dublin.

ORIGINALLY KNOWN AS Pelletstown and later as Saint Patrick’s Mother and Baby home on the Navan Road, Dublin 7, it was originally a public workhouse and probably designated a ’special institution’ exclusively for single mothers in 1904.

It was converted for such usage in 1906 by George Sheridan at a cost of £11,000. Pelletstown was owned and financed by the Poor Law Guardians and the Dublin Union (i.e the state), and run on their behalf by the Sisters of the Daughters of Saint Vincent de Paul (later called the Daughters of Charity).

Saint Patrick’s was by far the largest of the nine Mother and Baby homes in terms of the numbers who passed through and approximately 9,000 to 12,000 women and girls went through its doors. It was also a massive ‘holding centre’ in it’s own right for unaccompanied babies and children. It was certified for 149 beds for unmarried mothers and 560 cots/beds for babies and children.

Babies and children who passed away were sent for burial to the national Angel’s Plot in Glasnevin Cemetery in north Dublin. There are two periods when exact numbers of deaths are known and rough estimates from other years would indicate that at least 2,000 and possibly above 3,000 babies and children died during its 81 years of operation on the Navan Road.

The home was closely associated with Saint Kevin’s Hospital in Dublin city centre now known as Saint James.

'We have to do everything to find out the truth': Govt defends itself on illegal adoptions case

Today in the newspaper Le Soir:

POLICY:

'We have to do everything to find out the truth': Govt defends itself on illegal adoptions case

Foreign Affairs Minister responds on handling of illegal adoptions file. Hadja Lahbib will produce, she says, the findings of research in the ministry's archives in the new school year. What about the expected report on adoptions? Justice is working on it.

Image : BELGIAN.